Today there was a tweet about some hate crime stats in NYC:
Hate crimes are way up: NYPD. pic.twitter.com/E7GiXbOjAz
— Tina Moore (@TinaMoorereport) March 22, 2017
There are several things that jumped out at me about these numbers:
- Why are they comparing this year’s numbers to the attacked from 2015? It seems to me that the only reason they are doing that is because they can then show the much larger differences1.
- The sample size of these numbers is very small. I don’t think you can make any points based on these numbers.
- In what may be a surprise to some people anti- semitic crime is seeing the biggest increase. Again, these are small samples so your milage may vary.
- These are only crimes the police classified as “hate crimes”2. How many more crimes were there when it was a question if it was a “hate crime” or not? I’d be interested in seeing those numbers as well.
- Finally the total number of hate crimes in NYC is shockingly low considering the population of the city. This is a good thing and shows most people are tolerant of others. Of course the fact it is increasing is not good at all.